The Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO) will be initiating a dialogue with multiple stakeholder organizations on the development of formal specialties and subspecialties in optometry as a result of action taken by the Board of Directors at its meeting on March 14, 2015, in Portland, Ore. The action came after a task force led by Dr. Stanley Woo, Dean, Southern California College of Optometry at Marshall B. Ketchum University, reported its recommendations to the ASCO Board. The ASCO leadership team will be comprised of Dr. David Heath, President, State University of New York College of Optometry, Chair, Dr. Woo and Dr. Kelly Nichols, Dean, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry.
In other major actions, the ASCO Board:
► Approved the following 2015 nominees for ASCO awards, which will be presented at the Annual Leadership Luncheon on June 24, 2015, in Seattle, Wash.:
• Posthumous Lifetime Achievement Award: Dr. Alfred A. Rosenbloom
• Dr. Jack Bennett Innovation in Optometric Education Award: Dr. Mark Colip (Illinois College of Optometry)
• Rising Star Award: Dr. Todd D. Peabody (Indiana University School of Optometry)
• Industry Leadership Award: Dave Sattler (formerly of Alcon).
► Approved Partnership Endowment funding for the following two projects:
• Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice Summit to be held in February 2016 and led by ASCO President Dr. Jennifer Coyle
• An ASCO Comprehensive Strategic Planning Process in October 2015.
This fiscal year, grants totaling more than $296,000 were awarded to advance optometric education through the Partnership Endowment.
Also: Following the resignation of Dr. Richard Phillips from his positions as President of Southern College of Optometry and ASCO President-Elect, Dr. David Heath has been elected as ASCO’s Interim President-Elect (formerly he was Immediate Past-President), and Dr. David Loshin has been elected as ASCO’s Interim Immediate Past-President.