The ASCO Board of Directors held its winter meeting on Nov. 8, 2016, in Anaheim, Calif. ASCO President Dr. Karla Zadnik opened the daylong meeting, which included discussions about future Board of Directors meeting topics and the recent meeting of the Inter-Organizational Communications and Cooperation Committee; requests for nominations of individuals to serve on the National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) and for the National Optometry Hall of Fame; a request for faculty liaisons to the Optometric Historical Society; and a dialogue on continuing education accreditation.
Additional meeting highlights:
- group activity regarding the ASCO Strategic Plan
- decision to enter into an extension of the Association’s lease for office space at its current location
- discussion on ASCO member institutional data and how ASCO will continue reporting information to the public and its institutions
- working lunch and discussion of the Global Forum on Innovation in Health Professional Education
- approval to add a representative from the American Academy of Optometry to the Joint Project Team on Further Developing a Robust, Diverse, and Highly Qualified National Applicant Pool
- hands-on tutorial for the Board of Directors on ASCO Connect, ASCO’s online community designed for knowledge exchange, content curation, idea incubation and professional networking
- approval of a set of institutional metrics to recommend to the NBEO
- presentation from the American Optometric Student Association (AOSA) and a discussion about how ASCO and the AOSA can best work together
- reports from ASCO committees and task forces
The ASCO Board of Directors’ next meeting will be March 17-18, 2017, in Santa Fe, N.M.