The American Board of Optometry (ABO) appreciates the passion and dedication to educating and training optometry students and helping them achieve their full potential. With precious little time and scarce resources, educators play a pivotal role in shaping their behaviors, philosophy, and commitment to practice. The ABO understands the significant impact educators have on the future of optometry, and would like to invite faculty members to participate in the ABO Board Certification (BC) program.
ABO is the only BC listed by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies approved by CMS for optometry because the process is “substantially equivalent” to that of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Successful completion of the BC examination confers recognition as a Diplomate, which may be recognized as a clinical distinction at some institutions. In addition, with teaching, scholarship, patient care, and service as the most common areas for faculty merit, promotion and tenure, many of the duties performed as a faculty member also count as recognized activities in the MOC program. Activities such as serving as a reviewer or editor for courses and publications, presentations at schools or industry meetings and teaching students, all qualify for MOC credit.
Recognizing the critical role in optometric education, the ABO would like to extend an offer for all full-time faculty to take the July 2018 BC exam.
- The offer is only available to full-time faculty at ACOE accredited programs.
- ABO will waive the $950 examination fee for the July 2018 exam.
- Faculty accepting this offer will agree to:
1) Complete a one-time survey following their completion of the examination. This survey will focus on exam content, format, preparation and testing environment.
2) Review and provide feedback on one Self-Assessment Module (SAM) or one Performance in Practice Module (PPM) prior to publication. New modules are published throughout the year and we ask that a review assignment be accepted once within three years of taking the exam.
- Those wishing to take advantage of this opportunity will need to apply online at americanboardofoptometry.org. There is a $300 application fee and 150 hours of post-graduate requirements that must be met. Required hours can be met in various ways, including a recent residency, CE hours, fellowship, years in active clinical practice and various scholarly activities.
- Once approved to sit for the exam, the $950 exam fee can be waived by contacting our Operations Director at 314-983-4234 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maintenance of certification is an annual requirement at a cost of $225, which includes ongoing portal access and the annual SAM or PPM – http://americanboardofoptometry.org/board-certification/maintain-certification/
- Registration and scheduling for the July exam is now open.
A well-structured board certification program has put optometrists on par with our ABMS colleagues and is becoming increasingly recognized by employers, third-party payers and the public as a necessary credential. ABO’s intent is to work together with ASCO to educate and prepare future ODs and then provide them with a path to continue that learning throughout their professional career.
To learn more about this opportunity, please email email@example.com.