The ASCO Strategic Planning Task Force, ASCO Board of Directors, ASCO staff and other invited guests convened for a first strategic planning session. Not since 2002 has ASCO embarked on a comprehensive Strategic Plan.
The day-long planning session, adjacent to the Board of Directors meeting, was held in Scottsdale, Ariz. Divided into four groups, all participants contributed in various exercises that included:
• identifying stakeholders and their needs and wants
• analyzing ASCOs SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats)
• discussing ASCO’s core values
• developing a vision statement
• prioritizing strategic goals
The group was very engaged and discussion was lively. Next steps for the Strategic Planning Task Force will be to keep the momentum going by discussing ASCO’s future strategic objectives, brainstorming programs, surveying stakeholders on specific topics and ranking new ideas.
Information on ASCO’s Strategic Plan progress will appear in future editions of Eye on Education.